Saturday 5 November 2016

How Gmail ID Can Be Hacked Despite Having Google’s Two-Factor Authentication On

The Two-factor authentication is believed to prevent Gmail accounts from getting hacked.
But what happened with indie developer Grant Blakeman shows how two-factor authentication can be beaten to takeover a Gmail account.
Writing on the newly emerging social media site Ello, Blackman revealed how hackers hacked his Instagram account through his Gmail account. Despite the fact he was using two-factor authentication, the hackers were able to reset his Gmail password without any meaningful obstacles or security issue. 

read more:Researchers show how to hack Gmail with 92% success rate.


SO WHAT ACTUALLY HAPPENED?
Blackman woke up to a text on Saturday morning which was only about twenty minutes old.“Google Account password changed” it read. He tried to login in to his Gmail account but all in vain. Regardless of what he tried, Blackman couldn’t get in to his own Gmail account. He then tweeted about the hack where he was lucky enough to receive a response from Wired’s staff writer Mat Honan, who told Blackman to check with his cell phone provider and make sure that call-forwarding had not been enabled on his number without his knowledge.

''I called, and sure enough, as of Saturday morning my number had been forwarded to a number I did not recognize. Unreal. So, as far I can tell, the attack actually started with my cell phone provider, which somehow allowed some level of access or social engineering into my Google account, which then allowed the hackers to receive a password reset email from Instagram, giving them control of the account,'' according to Blackman.

The post went viral and appeared on Hacker News. One of the commenter going with the handle of jasonisalive said that:

''I work for a service providing company and service reps receive
commission based on their client satisfaction, and because of it there's a constant tension between providing a good customer experience and protecting security and privacy. This means going by the book, keeping privacy standards high and just think about client satisfaction and provide them with what they need.'' 

Grant Blakeman was lucky to get a reply from Wired’s staff writer Mat Honan who helped him to restore all his accounts, but there many users getting hacked everyday without further knowledge of what to do next or how to restore their accounts


READ MORE: Login with Google’ New USB Device and Keep Your Gmail Secure.
This incident shows that two-factor authentication is not the
solution for keeping your account secure. Just like we always say ‘‘Security in a
Myth”..

3 comments:

  1. hackeinstein147@gmail can be relied on for ur various hacking services like email hacks, all social media hacks, changing of college grades, clearing of criminal records, spying on cheating partners etc you can also reach him via text +12402921871

    ReplyDelete
  2. Help me thank THEETHICALHACKERS2580 after being scammed of $1500
    he helped me find my cheating husband he helped hack his whatsapp gmail
    and kik and i got to know that he was cheating on me , in less than 24 hours
    he helped me out with everything THEETHICALHACKERS2580 is trust worthy and affordable contact theethicalhackers2580@gmail.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I discovered my wife was cheating on me but I didn't have any evidence to confront her. I talked to my friend on this and he promised to help me. He introduced me to a hacker and this hacker helped me hack my wife's phones, emails and her social media accounts without her knowing and I have access to all. And that was how I got evidences, I couldn't believe she has been cheating on me for a very long time until I went through her email and whatsapp messsages because I now have access to them. I know many people out here are going through the same thing and I have decided to help you by dropping the hacker's contact I used here because I hate cheating in a relationship or marriage. You can contact him on "freelancexhacker@tuta.io". Only for serious ones please and you can tell him Travis referred you for quicker response from him. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete